What is the Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance?
Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance is part of a state-wide network aimed at the prevention of alcoholism and drug addiction – primarily for youth.
The Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance works toward this goal by supporting and administering over 20 programs and activities in 3 municipalities of Hopewell Valley: Hopewell Township, Pennington Borough and Hopewell Borough. These programs and activities are geared toward drug and alcohol awareness and education, positive youth development and overall public safety.
Our vision: Hopewell Valley – A community united in the development of caring, confident and responsible youth.
What is Healthy Communities Healthy Youth?
Healthy Communities Healthy Youth is a unique approach that empowers the community to promote the positive development of its children, adolescents and teens. It does so by ensuring that each part of the community realizes the benefits of developmental assets in its youth. Developmental assets* are building blocks young people need to become healthy, principled and caring adults. The more developmental assets in a young person’s life, the less likely they are to engage in at-risk behaviors.
The Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance has brought this unique approach to the Hopewell Valley community in 1996 by creating a partnership with all sectors of the community including municipal governments, businesses, schools, police, clergy, civic organizations, senior citizens, health professionals, recreation organizations, parents and students who work together to make Hopewell Valley healthier and safer for its youth.
*To view the 40 Developmental Assets: http://www.search-institute.org/assets
Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance Programs and Activities:
- Campfire USA Prevention Program – Elementary Schools
- D.A.R.E. Program – 5th Grade
- REBEL/TATU – Teens Against Tobacco Use – Central High School student group
- PANDA – Preventing Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Central High School student group
- Youth Advisory Board – Central High School student group
- New Jersey Middle School Peer Leadership Initiative – Timberlane Student Group
- Parent Leadership Corps – Middle School parent education program
- Post-Prom Party – Mailings, parent education and student gift
- Youth Leadership Conferences – Locally and nationally
- Hopewell Valley’s Night Off – Community event
- Hopewell Valley Night at Waterfront Park – Community event
- Pennington 5K – Collaborative Community event
- Mayor’s Breakfast – Community event
- Underage Drinking Town Hall Meeting – Community event
- Teen Summer Job Fair – Central High School
- Career Day – Central High School
- Teen Wellness Day – Central High School
- College Student Panel – Central High School juniors and seniors
- HoVAL CAN (Changing Attitudes Now) – Student anti-drug and alcohol program
- Swing into Spring – Intergenerational social event
- Guest Speakers – Community and school event
These programs and activities are funded or sponsored by the Hopewell Valley Municipal Alliance in cooperation with the school district, municipalities,
and community volunteers