Car thefts are happening all over New Jersey, in the suburbs and larger cities. The Hopewell Valley is no exception. According to the NJ State Police, most auto thefts occur when the key fob is left in the car or when the car is left running. Do not make it easy for car thieves by leaving your keys or electronic key fob in the car—not even for a moment to run inside a store or your home—because your stolen vehicle could be used to commit other serious crimes.
This week, the Office of the Attorney General offered these easy to follow tips to prevent vehicle theft:
• Never leave your keys or key fob in your vehicle;
• Do not leave your vehicle running while unattended;
• Park your car in well-lit areas;
• Ensure all windows are closed;
• Hide your valuables;
• Make sure all doors are locked.