How can I appeal my case?
If you do not agree with the Court's decision, you may appeal to the Mercer County Superior Court. The appeal does not involve a new trial. No new testimony or new witnesses may be considered. The Superior Court reviews the transcript of the municipal court trial and the decision of the municipal court judge, and will reverse the decision only if there has been a mistake regarding the facts of the law.

An appeal must be filed within 20 days of the municipal court judge's decision. A filing fee and transcript deposit is due at that time. Upon request, the court administrator will supply the defendant with all of the necessary forms to be filed with the court office to appeal the decision. The defendant may request that his or her penalty be stayed pending the appeal. The municipal court judge will decide whether or not to do so.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Municipal Court?
2. What type of cases are heard in Municipal Court?
3. When is a court appearance required?
4. How do I enter a Not Guilty Plea?
5. What happens on your day in court?
6. In what order are cases called?
7. What are "indictable charges"?
8. What happens at an "arraignment" or "first appearance"?
9. Who are the people involved in court?
10. Who is entitled to a public defender?
11. What is a Plea Agreement?
12. What happens during a trial?
13. What are the possible penalties?
14. What is mediation?
15. What is a Conditional Discharge?
16. How can I appeal my case?