M E R C E R C O U N T Y
201 Washington Crossing Pennington Road
Titusville, New Jersey 08560-1410
April 9, 2020
Modifications to Hopewell Township Operating Procedures in Response to COVID-19
Updated April 9th 2020
To: Hopewell Township Residents, Business Owners and Other Community Members
Please consider this memo an update to my memo of March 27, 2020 regarding new operating procedures as a result of COVID-19.
Changes to Township Operations will be as follows:
- The Senior Center located at 395 Reading Street in Pennington will remain closed. THE MERCER COUNTY NUTRITION PROGRAM WILL REMAIN OPEN BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10 AM TO 11 PM FOR MEAL PICK-UP.
- All other Senior Programs will continue to be cancelled until April 30th. We will reassess on April 23rd and advise the community.
- All Recreation Department Activities and municipal fields will remain closed through April 30th. We will reassess future activities on April 23rd
- The Township Municipal building will remain closed to all visitors through April 30th. This will also be reassessed on April 23rd. Doors will continue to remain locked during the day. Visitation will continue to be by appointment only. Please check the Hopewell Township website at www.hopewelltwp.org to find the number for the department you need to meet with.
Anyone needing to get documents to the Municipal building can use the drop box located outside the utility door at the northeast corner of the building. If documents are too large for the drop box, please call and arrange for a document exchange outside of the building on the covered area by the main doors. The Township will do its best to communicate electronically or by mail with our visitors
- Any outdoor inspections will continue as scheduled.
- Based upon the temporary rule relaxation issued by the Department of Community Affairs on March 25, 2020, the MCO will follow the instructions listed below with regard to scheduling and conducting inspections.
1. The Municipal Construction Office has temporarily modified its business hours:
The office will be open and staffed for appointments from 8:30 to 12:30PM, Monday through Friday. Office phones will be remotely monitored until 4:30PM each day. Contact information for the construction office can be found at http://www.hopewelltwp.org/155/Building-Construction
2. All required inspections for new unoccupied construction shall be performed as usual.
3. All required inspections on the exterior of structures shall be performed as usual.
No Inspector is to enter an occupied structure
4. Rough inspections for new additions shall be performed, provided no entry to the occupied building is required.
5. No inspector shall conduct any inspection within an occupied structure. In an effort for projects to continue, this does not prevent the contractor from communicating construction activity to the appropriate inspector who is not on-site. Examples of communication may include: a signed sealed letter from the design professional, telephone call, photograph, video etc. This correspondence shall be in a manner which the inspector understands and can verify code compliance.
6. All required inspections of Minor Work – on the interior of occupied structures – shall be deferred until after the State of Emergency has been lifted. Inspections shall be scheduled within 30 days after the State of Emergency has been lifted.
- Township Committee meetings will be conducted via Zoom. Instructions for participation will be included with the agenda when posted.
- An update to this memo will be issued when further guidance has been provided for Planning and Zoning meetings.
- Tax payments will be due on May 1st. Residents can pay by mail, on-line or utilize the secure drop box located at the northeast corner of the municipal building. Payments will be processed the day they are received.
I would like to thank the community for their continued support of our modified work schedules. As the virus continues to exist within our community we must continue to do everything we can to halt its progress. We are a community that has a history of joining together to fight common enemies. It is time once again for us to join together and fight for our community. #Flattenthecurve . Looking forward to seeing you all soon in person, but for now, please stay home and safe.
Elaine Borges Administrator/CFO