You can’t see, smell or taste radon, but it could be present at a dangerous level in your home.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can get trapped in homes and buildings and expose the people who live and work inside, increasing their risk of developing lung cancer later in life. This risk is even higher among those who smoke cigarettes. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers in America and claims the lives of about 21,000 Americans each year. The US EPA and the Surgeon General urge all Americans to protect their health by testing their homes, schools, and other buildings for radon.
Exposure to radon is a preventable health risk and testing radon levels in your home can help prevent unnecessary exposure. If a high radon level is detected in your home, you can take steps to fix the problem to protect yourself and your family.
Certified radon measurement businesses provide testing services. Do-it-yourself home testing kits are also available at hardware and home improvement stores. The Hopewell Township Health Department has more information and will have a limited amount of radon tests to provide residents. Contact them at 609-737-0120 or email@example.com.
Five Things You Can Do To Protect Your Home and Loved Ones
- Test your home. Testing is easy and inexpensive. If the test indicates a radon problem, a radon mitigation system can be easily installed, and at a cost similar to that of other home repairs.
- Tell your family and friends about the health risk of radon. Encourage them to learn about radon and test their homes.
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor to help educate your community about radon.
- View EPA's free radon publications.
- Buy a radon-resistant home - Read more about radon-resistant new construction, "Building Radon Out: A Step-by-Step Guide to Build Radon-Resistant Homes" (PDF).
For more information on radon, contact the Hopewell Township Health Department at (609) 737-0120 or the NJ DEP Radon Program at (800) 648-0394 or visit www.njradon.org.