Did you know? Following legalization, more than 362,000 marijuana convictions have been automatically expunged since July 1, according to the New Jersey Judiciary.
Automatic Expungement of Marijuana Record
If your record is one of the following:
- Possession of marijuana/ hash
- Distribution of <1 ounce of marijuana
- Distribution of <5 grams of hash
Plus any of the offenses below (combined with the above):
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Use or being under the influence
- Failure to make a lawful disposition
Your record will be automatically expunged- it will be no longer searchable!
If you want to confirm that your record qualifies for expungement you can request certification:
- Go to https:www.njcourts.gov/notices/2021/n210830a.pdf
- Go to page 14, print the form called “Request by Defendant/Juveniles for Copies of Their Own Expunged and/or Sealed Records.”.
- Fill out Part A and check box in Part B for “Certification of Expungement by Supreme Court Order.”
- Return form in person to the court where the charges are from. Be sure to bring a photo ID.